In this article, we explore some of the top features and luxuries that buyers want in their Mediterranean homes. Of course, some of these features are wanted by buyers all over the world, but we’re interested in Mediterranean homes! With the market the way it is at the moment, property in Malta is attracting many Maltese and international buyers. Adding one or more of these features will certainly add value to your home. In addition, it’ll make it all the more desirable when it comes to selling.
This is one of the most-wanted extras for a home in Malta, let alone the rest of the Mediterranean. Parking can be a total nightmare here. The lack of parking and traffic are the two worst things about driving in this country. Home owners want to know they’re guaranteed a parking space every time they come home. Garages also keep your cars safer and protect them from the elements and the unfortunate consequences of construction! Garage space is desirable not only for the parking but also for the extra storage. With a decent-sized garage, you’ll have room for your car and any surplus boxes you don’t want cluttering up your house.
Big, open-plan kitchen
A big, open-plan kitchen and dining area is also very high on the list for buyers. The Mediterranean lifestyle is very much about entertaining and socialising. A happy Mediterranean home is a home filled with love and laughter. Separate dining rooms not only feel outdated but they’re also pretty inconvenient! If you’ve got people over for dinner, you’d have to carry every dish into the dining room one by one. And really, who has wait staff anymore? Plus, you wouldn’t be able to socialise with anyone whilst you’re cooking! An open plan kitchen feels more spacious and less stuffy. Islands and breakfast bars are very popular.
This one pretty much speaks for itself! What’s not to love about having a private pool in your house in the Malta? The Mediterranean climate is hot and humid. Swimming in the pool after a long day at work is the perfect way to cool off. Lounging around the pool on sunny summer days is also wonderful at the weekends. There are many different types of pool you can add to your home, depending on your budget. It has been said that having a pool can actually increase the value of your property by up to 6 or 7%.
That’s right – lavish, luxury bathrooms are where it’s at! Having your very own mini-spa in your house will feel like you’re always on holiday! Home buyers really look for a stylish, modern bathroom. Marble and slate are two popular, natural materials to use in the bathroom that add a decadent touch. Polished concrete is now in-vogue at the moment, too. Free-standing bath tubs, spa showers and heated floors can all work to make your bathroom feel more luxurious. If your budget allows, you could think about adding a steam room or a hot tub.
Energy efficient solutions
Environmentally-conscious buyers are turning their attention to homes that are more energy efficient. Energy efficient homes benefit everyone – they minimise wasted energy and help keep bills to a minimum. Good insulation is a great starting point; if your home is well insulated, you’ll be able to cool or heat your home for much less. Double-glazing is a must, as is installing energy efficient appliances. Smart appliances and smart lighting attract modern buyers who like technology wired into their homes! You can get all sorts of smart appliances, including washing machines, dryers, kettles and ovens. Smart home security systems can also be installed, so you can log into your camera feed from anywhere with your smartphone!
Maximise the natural light in your home wherever possible. Valletta is one of Europe’s lightest capital cities. It sees almost 3,000 hours of sunshine every year! Why not make the most of this in your home? Soak in the vitamin D and improve your mood, your sleep, your productivity and ward off illness and cancer.
One thing that modern homes never seem to have enough of is storage. We live in a consumer culture and we’re forever buying more and more stuff. However, we never seem to have anywhere to put it. Many homes are lacking storage but what high-end buyers want is smart and stylish storage. Sleek wardrobes with sliding doors are in high-demand. Buyers also love secret spaces and hidden cupboards that have been designed to look like something else! Many designers are making modern, chic furniture that doubles up as storage. Coffee tables, beds, ottomans and sofas can all hide your belongings inside!
Gardens are especially in demand in Malta and are seen as the height of luxury! Properties with a garden or a decent amount of outdoor space are hard to come by. Moreover, these sorts of properties tend to be the most expensive and the most desired! Homes in the Mediterranean have the advantage of being situated in a lovely climate! There are only a couple of months a year where it’s too cold to relax outside in Malta, so outdoor space can be used almost all throughout the year. A garden is more luxurious however, it also requires a lot of upkeep. Patios are the easier of the two in terms of maintenance. Whichever of the two you have, as long as there’s enough space for friends and family to hang out in (or BBQ in), home buyers will love it. In Malta, a well-kept patio or garden will certainly add value to your property. Failing outside space, buyers also love balconies. Especially on properties in good locations with a nice view! The bigger the balcony, the better. A balcony that’s not big enough to be enjoyed is not worth having at all!
Agreement between the Property Owner and Quicklets.com.mt
As a result of this agreement the Landlord (property owner) is giving Quicklets permission to list their property/properties on the database of Quicklets and market it on the website www.quicklets.com.mt and any other medium of advertisement possibly resulting in the rental of these properties.
All information, photos and assets, moveable or immovable will be at Quicklets' discretion to advertise as Quicklets deems necessary to result to the lease/rent of a property. By clicking accept at the bottom of the page the landlord is agreeing and committing themselves to pay Quicklets commission upon the lease/rent of the property/properties added to Quicklets here after.
The commission is set at 50% of one full month’s rent + 18% VAT for long lets and 10% of total amount + 18% VAT for short lets and commercial lets. This is to be paid upon the signing of the contract between the tenant and the landlord if the property is rented/leased by Quicklets. Once the contract it signed the commission is not refundable.
Once the potential client is introduced to the Landlord for the first time the Landlord is bound by this legally binding agreement to complete and sign the contract between the tenant and themselves through Quicklets and pay the commission due in full.
Terms and Conditions:
1. By accepting this agreement the Landlord here by confirms all clauses and terms and conditions for each and every property listed with Quicklets here after.
2. Quicklets offer a free valuation and inventory checklist of the property.
3. This agreement is valid for properties listed by Quicklets and properties uploaded by the owner directly to the site.
4. When an offer is made on a property, Quicklets will collect a minimum of one month's rent deposit. This deposit will be handed over to the owner and in the case of a cancellation, the Landlord must pay Quicklets 15% + 18%VAT of this deposit.
5. The Landlord states that all information exchanged during the procedure of the listing and filling in this contract is in utmost good faith.
6. The Landlord is responsible for all bills, utility and others, prior to date of renting/leasing contract between the Landlord and Quicklets client.
7. The Landlord will always give the tenant 48hr notice before entering a property prior to its rental/lease by Quicklets.
8. If the Landlord gives Quicklets keys to view a property they will only be used in the event of a possible lease/rent by Quicklets.
9. If the listed properties change ownership the Landlord must inform us and a new contract has to be drafted. If we are not notified and bring a client to view a property which then results into a rent/lease the Landlord has to pay the commission.
10. Quicklets is not responsible for any missing items or damage to a property at any time.
11. The Landlord agrees that should a property be purchased by the client introduced by Quicklets, a 5% commission + 18% VAT has to be paid by the Landlord to Quicklets. If a property has a garage and is not rented or leased, the value of the garage will be deducted from the total selling price. If it is included in the rent/lease, commission must be paid on the garage at a rate of 5% +18% VAT.
12. Commisions are only payable to Quicklets if the property is rented out through Quicklets. In no other circumstances are you as an owner liable to pay for Quicklets listing services.